Body hair does not always look pleasant. And there are many ways to deal with this unwanted hair. Which ones have you tried already? Waxing, sugaring, shaving... However, most women prefer waxing or laser hair removal. Let's see why, and what the difference between these two popular methods is.
How does waxing work?
The art of waxing goes back to the Egyptians. They used beeswax as the main ingredient for hair removal and body care.
The wax is heated and applied to the skin in the direction of hair growth during the depilation treatment. Wax comes in two types: soft and hard. Soft wax melts at a greater temperature and has a finer consistency. Then a strip of fabric is used to remove the hot wax, along with the hairs clinging to it, in the opposite direction of hair growth. Hard wax is thicker, heats at a lower temperature, and does not require a strip. The type of wax used is determined by the area to be treated, the patient's skin type, and the texture of his or her hair. The hair is pulled out from the root during waxing, but the follicle is left intact, and the hair grows back. The waxing treatment should be repeated after a few weeks.
How does laser hair removal work?
During the laser treatment, the unit produces intense and highly focused light pulses to hit the hair follicle and damage it and slow down hair growth. The pigment in the follicle absorbs light and destroys the hair. Already, after the first procedure, you will get rid of a third of your excess hair. And, following a series of treatments, you can skip hair removal for almost a year. Remember to perform a supporting operation every six months in the future.
The Pros and Cons of waxing and laser hair removal
Both procedures have their own pros and cons.
The main benefits of waxing are:
- Exemption from excess hair for up to 2-4 weeks at an affordable price for a one-time procedure. Regular depilation significantly lowers the amount of hair. Over time, they brighten and become thinner.
- Waxing is safe for all skin types and hair types.
- Wax treatments have a beneficial impact on the skin, also a form of old skin exfoliation.
- Hair removal with waxing, if required, can be carried out at home. Of course, a salon procedure carried by a professional master is preferable, it is more effective and painless.
Disadvantages of this technology:
- Waxing may cause discomfort and pain in the case of poor-quality depilation.
- An allergy to the components is possible. You can check this on your first visit to the salon.
- With poor-quality depilation, the risk of ingrown hair increases significantly.
- Wax removal should be repeated every 2-4 weeks. With a long-term calculation and payment for several years, the cost of waxing can significantly exceed laser removal.
Pros of laser hair removal:
- Modern laser systems have strong anaesthetic mechanisms that range from microfreeze to contact chilling, blowing, and vacuum.
- Laser hair removal treatment is a very safe treatment. It only affects the hair and follicle, not the surrounding tissues.
- The procedure is quick. The laser impacts a specific area of the skin at a high rate.
- It provides a consistent result. To completely get rid of excess hair, it will take 2 to 10 procedures, depending on the area where the hair is removed and individual characteristics.
- Improves the condition and quality of the skin: eliminates spider veins, reduces pigmentation and wrinkles in the affected area.
- The success of laser treatment largely depends on the colour of the hair and skin. The lighter the hair, the worse it reacts to the laser beam.
- One procedure is not enough. It will take several sessions to completely get rid of excess vegetation. Laser hair removal should not be performed on a tanned body. After returning from the holidays, wait 3-4 weeks and sign up for the procedure only when the skin brightens.
What do we recommend?
In our salon, we have both options: waxing and laser hair removal treatments. If you are looking for a long-term solution, the laser is the way to go. It destroys the roots permanently and gives quick and painless hair removal results.