Hair removal can be a frustrating process. Traditional methods like shaving, tweezing, or waxing require extensive planning (outfits and plans often have to fit the hair-removal schedule) and are only temporary. Laser hair removal solves that problem. Read on for all you need to know about the treatment before investing in laser hair removal.
WHAT IS LASER HAIR REMOVAL AND HOW DOES IT WORK?
Laser hair removal uses a powerful beam of light that targets the hair's melanin while destroying the follicle's root. The technology allows the laser to emit light at a specific wavelength that damages the hair but not the skin surrounding it. The light debilitates the hair follicle, so it won't produce more hair (or will grow very slowly). This science talk sounds a little daunting, but laser technology is used worldwide and allows for safe and effective hair removal for all skin types and sensitivities.
At Oblique, our aestheticians will explain the whole process and assess your skin’s needs. Some skin types and areas show results earlier than others and need fewer sessions. Your aesthetician will give you the estimated number of sessions you'll.
In every session, the process is the same. After undressing, the aesthetician will ensure the area is properly clean and hand you a pair of goggles to protect your eyes from the light. Then, they will mark the area with a white pen to make sure no parts are missed. After the treatment, your aesthetician will apply a cream or aloe vera gel over the treated surface and will tell you about the aftercare you should be following at home.
LASER HAIR REMOVAL VS. TRADITIONAL METHODS
If you're still debating laser hair removal, here are a few things you might want to consider. There's a lot to take into account, but laser hair removal definitely presents many advantages. Let's go through some of them.
- Long-term hair removal: Laser doesn't always result in permanent hair removal, but it does provide an important reduction of new hair, which grows much finer and easier to maintain. For most people, it means not having to think of shaving or waxing for months, and it only requires some maintenance with no fuss.
- Save time: If we could count the hours we spend shaving, waxing or epilating, we would lose it. They’re time-consuming options that require planning ahead and, in the end, are a significant hassle factor. Laser hair removal means not having to worry about missing spots and hopping back into the shower. It allows for a clean-shaven look every day without all the complications.
- Save money in the long run: Laser hair removal can be a significant investment, but it's definitely something that future you will appreciate. No more razors, shaving cream or waxing appointments.
- Eliminates ingrown hairs: Laser hair removal not only helps with unwanted body hair, but it also addresses issues like ingrown hairs. It's especially great for those skins that are prone to hyperpigmentation due to ingrown hairs (usually deeper skin tones) or for those who have sensitive skin and irritations after shaving or waxing.
SOME TIPS FOR YOUR FIRST LASER SESSION
To achieve results faster and ensure the treatment will be comfortable and safe, here are a few practices for you to get ready in the best way possible.
- No plucking, dyeing or waxing the hair. They change the hair's growth cycle and complicate the effectiveness of the laser treatment. Shaving is the only option allowed for the whole duration of the treatment.
- Avoid sun exposure and tanning. Sun exposure can affect the skin's sensitivity; that's why we recommend staying away from the sun for a while and making sure you're applying SPF.
- It's quick and not really painful. First-time clients always ask us what's the feeling of the laser on the skin. We would describe it as a swift and sharp prickle, like a slight sting, not pleasant but not really painful. It usually depends on the area and on each person.
- Opt for loose clothing. It’s the best option to make sure you'll feel comfortable when getting dressed after the treatment. Nothing feels worse on your skin than putting on a pair of leggings after getting a laser treatment on your legs.
Ultimately, laser hair removal is a safe and easy option that will save you money and time while giving you beautiful, long-lasting results. If you're considering it, we would love to be part of your journey. Contact us for a quote on any of the hair removal treatments we offer or with any inquiries you may have. You can find more information on them here.